Friday, March 13, 2015

Lovin' Me Some ER time!

Today hasn't been the best of days. It started out alright...except for that it was a Friday (I'm currently working on a post about Friday's...look for it soon!). 

After I got all the kids out the door and drove Chub-Chub to school, I needed to make a couple of stops. Simple things...like running into the post office to get stamps (which I wouldn't have done with the boys in tow--or god for bid--all three kids)...and grabbing a gift for somebody. So I took care of those errands, and realized that I was hungry. My energy was already severely depleted, so I decided to drive through the Bruegger's nearby and grab a bagel sandwich, rather than attempt to walk in there on foot. 

After they handed me my order, I pulled over into the parking lot next to Walmart to enjoy the lovely flavors of my tarragon chicken salad sandwich. While I was sitting there in my car eating, I noticed that I was getting really dizzy and just felt awful. 

I have been getting dizziness a bit frequently lately. Over the past several weeks, I have had to sit back down several times when I've been trying to stand up. It's been something I've been concerned about because my doctor is monitoring my blood pressure right now (I have been prehypertensive). And last night, while I was laying down to go to bed, I got really dizzy and decided to take my blood pressure. It ended up being pretty high, so I was planning on calling my doctor today about it anyway.

Ok...getting back to this morning...so given my overwhelming fatigue, pain, and blood pressure for the week, I did not have much on my agenda that I needed to accomplish today. I wanted to get back to the house and rest. But the errands that I ran this morning had to be done today. They just couldn't wait. 

So there I was, sitting in my car...getting dizzy, and feeling worse and worse by the second. I decided that I should find a place to take my blood pressure. Walmart used to have a cuff right near the pharmacy, so despite the fatigue, I climbed down out of my ginormous vehicle and walked in there.  I looked around the pharmacy, but couldn't find the blood-pressure cuff. Realizing how terribly I felt from walking around, I decided that it would be best to get some help so that I could hopefully get my blood pressure taken immediately. I had to wait in line to ask someone in the pharmacy about it, and by the time it was my turn, I felt like I was going to pass out. Unfortunately, the pharmacist said there wasn't a blood pressure monitor anymore.

I walked back out to my car and called my doctor's office. Since it is nearby, I was hoping that maybe they would tell me to come right over and just take my blood pressure. But, given the symptoms that I had, they told me to go right to urgent care if I believed I could make it there...or call 911 and have the ambulance meet me in the parking lot. 

I drove right over to urgent care, which was only a three minute ride or so. And they got me right in and started taking care of me. They took my blood pressure, which was higher than normal, but not as high as it was last night. They did a blood sugar test, which came out normal.

And then they did an EKG. They noticed that my EKG had a change in it from my last EKG only a month or two ago.

After getting those results, they decided that it would be best if I headed to the ER. But of course, being dizzy, they wouldn't let me drive. I was lucky enough to find someone to drive me, andPrince  Charming was able to go home and take care of the kids. 

Tonight is a big night for our Little Miss, who is performing in her school's talent show. She is doing a solo act of headstands and dancing to Taylor Swift's Shake It Off. I am terribly sad that I'm missing it. :(

Anyway, I got to the ER sometime around 1 PM this afternoon. I'm going to be here all night, as I have only seen the nurse so far and the doctor will want to run tests. So here I lay on the stretcher, in the middle of the hospital ER hallway, six hours after arriving. With no end in sight. 

It's a good thing I can make friends anywhere!

Hoping your night is going better than mine,
Marathon Momma


  1. Sorry you have to be going thru yet again another issue of sorts. On the upside, if it were anything to be instantly alarmed about, you would have been moving thru the ER process by now. Hoping you make it home before bedtime, but I hope you are getting some rest while you are on that stretcher.. sleep my dear, sleep while you can. Sending hugs

  2. Aunt Patti,

    Thank you so much for your continued support and kindness. I am truly, truly grateful for you!🌞


Follow by Email